Rules for EU citizens

From Students@SISSA wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

EU citizens enjoy a special status: thanks to the EU treaties they are regarded (almost) as Italian citizens. There are, however, a certain number of special rules that an EU citizen should be aware of. Those special regulations concern:


EU citizens who are planning to stay in Italy for more than 3 months have to request residency in Italy. This obviously applies to PhD students. In order to obtain your residency in Italy you have to find a permanent accommodation (with a legal House rental contract). Then you have to go to the Municipality Office that deals with residency applications - the anagrafe, ufficio residenza where you'll have to file a request. After a while (up to 60 days) an officer from the local Police will show up at your home to check that you actually live there and that there are no problems with your flat (keep your contract at hand - just in case). You won't be able to choose the day in which the police officer is going to show up... but you can choose the hour (more or less). Saying that you're free only in the early morning (7:30 - 8:30) is a good choice.


In order to request the residency you have to show the following documents:

  1. Proof of sufficient means of subsistence: A statement from SISSA certifying the amount of your fellowship. If you do not have a fellowship you should enclose a bank statement.
  2. Proof of enrollment: A statement from SISSA certifying that you're a PhD student and how long your PhD program will last.
  3. Health care insurance: A copy of your private health care insurance or a document stating that you are entitled to enroll in the national health care system (E-form E106 see below).
  4. Id card or passport.
  5. Your Codice fiscale.


The ufficio residenza address is: Passo Costanzi 2 near (behind) piazza Unità. It's open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm and on Monday from 14:00 pm to 16:00 pm (Tel 040 675 4225/4477).

Health care

If you are a national from either a EU Member State, an EEA country or Switzerland, you should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, Italian acronym: TEAM) provided by your national healthcare authority. With that card, you are automatically covered in all EU-member countries for emergencies and medical care by a general practitioner. Please before leaving make sure that you hold an EHIC. If you do not have one, go to the competent Health Institution in your country to ask for an extension of your Health Insurance coverage to Italy.

If you plan to stay more than 3 months in Italy it's also important that you obtain a E-form (E106 or E109) before leaving your home country!

Asking for an Italian Health Insurance Card

If you stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you have the right to be enrolled in the National Healthcare System (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - SSN) free of charge, ONLY if you are in possession of an E106 or E109 form issued by your country. In order to be covered by the SSN you have to file a request to the local healthcare agency (Azienda Sanitaria Locale - ASL). They should accept immediately your request (provided that you can show all the documents they require) and allow you to choose a general practitioner (family doctor). Ask them for a practitioner who can speak English or your mother tongue.

You'll have to show the following documents:

  1. Passport or valid ID
  2. E-form E106 or E109: a certificate - available in all EU states - from your home country health care agency saying that you're entitled to sickness and maternity insurance benefits. E109 can be issued only if you are dependant on your family's financial support.
  3. Proof of enrollment: A statement from SISSA certifying that you're a PhD student and how long it will last your PhD program.
  4. Tax identification number or Codice fiscale.
  5. Certificate of residence in Trieste (or the request submitted to the municipal Anagrafe office).

The health insurance card (tessera sanitaria) will be issued immediately and free of charge. The validity is annual and it can be renewed.


First of all you have to determine in which distretto you live in. In order to do this you can use this utility provided by the ASL. To use it write the name of your street - omitting the initial via or piazza or viale or similar - in the first form field and the civic number in the second form field, then click on cerca. The web page will display your address followed by the number of the distretto.

When you have discovered which distretto you belong to you have to locate the nearest office and go there (if you're not fluent in Italian it's better to ask for assistance from some of your colleagues ). The offices where you can safely (as of September 2009) go are located (more info on the ASL website - please note that certain offices listed on that page won't accept these kind of requests or will accept them on certain days only):

Distretto Address Telephone number Opening
1 Via L. Stock 2040 3997849 - 7850 0403997849 - 7850 Mo-Tu-We-Fr from 8:30 am to 11:30 am
1 Opicina - Via di Prosecco 28/A 0402158143 We-Fr from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
2 Via del Farneto 3 0403995264 - 5175 - 5134 - 5021 Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr from 9:00 to 13:00
3 Via Valmaura 59 0403995941 Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr from 8:30 am to 11:30 am
4 Via G. Sai 7 0403997453 - 7465 Mo-Tu-We-Th-Fr from 8:00 am to 11:00 am

Additional information about the Health Care system is provided in the Welcome Office Trieste webpage.

Driving license

You have the right to drive in Italy with a European driving license without any problem. For more information, you can check this page.


As an Eu citizen you have the right to stand as a candidate and to vote in the Trieste Municipality and European parliament elections.